Gerard Sanchez and Jesus Villanueva are the founders of YOGGIC. After many years of corporate life, they left their engineering and oil & gas careers to follow their passion for yoga and community. They made Chicago their new home. YOGGIC was born in Chicago from a vision to make yoga accessible to everyone and anyone. We come together with deep passion and love, to give it out, and help change the world one class at a time. We are a community-based center and we are constantly exploring all aspects of self-discovery to impact and elevate the world. Our mission is to design, offer and celebrate physical, mental and spiritual evolution.
Jesus completed his yoga teacher training in Rishikesh, in the Himalayan ranges in India. He went to India searching for a mystical experience. This area is considered the birthplace of yoga and its culture left him fascinated. Six years ago, he began practicing Baptiste yoga to stretch his tight running body. Quickly he realized that Baptiste yoga could transform his body, his mind and his life. The more he practiced, the more he started to understand the emotional and physical benefits of this amazing practice. He is committed to bringing Baptiste yoga to the studio and the community. He completed Baptiste Level One training in November 2017, Art of Assisting, and he is on his way to Baptiste Certification.
Gerard started practicing yoga a few years ago, and he quickly became aware of all the benefits that yoga could bring into my life. Practicing yoga has helped him to become a stronger and faster athlete, to feel and be healthier and happier. Meditation is always there for him to relax and to get closer to his true self. He has certainly become a better version of himself and he is committed to bringing everything he has learned to the community.
At YOGGIC we believe everyone and anyone should have access to the power of yoga. Yoga can be physically, mentally and spiritually transformative. Yoga creates community, and we are all about that! Together we are creating a place for growth and a place where you can challenge yourself. There is a set of values we live by, and we want to share them with you:
(1) BE AUTHENTIC – Accepting ourselves and others.
(2) STEP INTO ACTION – We back up what we say with action. Follow through in an intentional way.
(3) LIVE IN INTEGRITY –This gives us the clarity when we’re faced with hard choices.
(4) BE COURAGEOUS –In order to achieve great things, you just have to let go of your fears.
(5) CULTIVATE LOVE – Love is a way of life! This requires acceptance, patience and above all, daily practice.
(6) EMPOWER THOSE AROUND YOU – Helping others realize their abilities and potential, perhaps for the first time lifting others up.
(7) SERVICE FIRST – We are shifting our attention and preoccupation with ourselves, and turning our focus outwards, towards others.